Dear Members, > > As many of you know, on February 10th we experienced a tragic accident > on our ski trails in which our dear friend and long-time trail groomer > Garth Johnson died. Members of the Club Executive appreciate the many > offers of condolence and support we have received from everyone. Garth > will be greatly missed by all of us who knew him. > > This terrible accident involved a tree that was down on the trail or > fell onto the trail that Garth was travelling on. Immediately > following the accident, the Club Executive made a decision to close > all of the ski trails out of respect for Garth and in the interest of > public safety. > > Since that time we have been contributing to investigations by the > RCMP and WorkSafeBC. Last week we completed a field review of all of > the trails to identify which trails had potential tree hazards and > which might be re-opened. Last Friday and Saturday we re-opened a > number of trails we believed to be safe; however, we subsequently > received an order from WorkSafeBC that required all of the trails to > be closed once again. > > We have been looking at all of our options but it is now clear that we > need to conduct detailed danger tree assessments over all the ski > trails employing a certified assessor and then follow up with felling > of potential hazard trees. After considering many factors (logistics > of trail work at this time of year, safety of skiers and workers, > lateness of the season, snow conditions, Club capacity, costs and > other factors) we have reluctantly made the decision to cease > operations for the remainder of this ski season. > > We ask for your understanding regarding this decision. Although we > have had a tough setback this year, your Executive remains strongly > committed to working toward a highly successful 2017/2018 season. > > Sincerely, > > President and Executive > Castlegar Nordic Ski Club >
Last chance to work on technique!
Sign up for a series of three lessons in our last offering of club instruction for 2017. Skate or classic, beginner to advanced- everyone welcome.
Congratulations to the lucky winners of our Early Bird prize draw!
- One night in a Deluxe Lake View room at Prestige Lakeside Resort (value $180): Celia Simms
- Individual Nelson Nordic Membership (value $136): Verna Beaulieu
- Physiotherapy treatments at Lakeside Physio (2 x value $90.00): Calvin Beebe & Brent Gallie
- Private ski lesson from local instructor Kjell Bronson (value $30.00): Heather Leschied
- Massage Therapy treatment from Alex Forsythe (value $90.00): Richard Epton
Super Early Bird Draw: October 24th
- Whitewater Day Pass (value $76.00): Damien Hetu
- Physiotherapy treatment at Lakeside Physio (value $90.00): John Pollack
- Private ski lesson from local instructor Charles Arnold (value $60.00): Cedric Chewter
- Gift certificate to Gerick Cycle and Ski (value $50.00): Tim Scheitel