Senior Snowcat Grooming Operator WANTED.
The Senior Grooming Operator role is a seasonal full-time position.
The Nelson Nordic Ski Club (NNSC) is looking for an experienced Grooming Operator to maintain the club’s network of cross-country ski trails (35kms) for this coming ski season (November-March). Competitive salary.
To apply, submit your resume to Jason Rusu, General Manager (email@example.com) by August 30th, 2019.
Nelson Nordic Ski Club
Senior Grooming Operator
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Trail Grooming and maintenance
- Implement the trail grooming program through operation of snowcat and snowmobile grooming machines consistent with the NNSC Grooming Policy.
- Work under the direction of the General Manager and with other NNSC staff to coordinate grooming operations in a safe, efficient and timely manner including adjusting grooming travel speed and shift timing as required dependent on snow and weather conditions.
- Remove snags and buck trees that have come down on ski trails during shifts.
- Organize and facilitate staff and volunteer training as required.
- Liaise with Nordic event and race organizers to meet grooming expectations.
- It is preferred that grooming staff are active cross-country skiers so they can understand the requirements and intricacies of grooming for our sport more effectively.
2. Machine Maintenance
- Perform regularly scheduled maintenance checks on the grooming machines and equipment as outlined in the manufacturer’s recommendations and site-specific schedules.
- Create parts order lists, stocking and parts and supplies inventories for grooming program. Competitive pricing practices are to be used at all times.
- Collaborate with the NNSC mechanic to flag maintenance or mechanical issues that come up through the season.
- Participate in training sessions as required.
- Implement live grooming tracking system.
- Perform trail grooming status updates at the end of each shift
- Accurate, professional, and timely email management.
- Accurate timesheet completion and submission to the General Manager according to NNSC policy.
- Use of flexible time schedules so overtime is kept to a minimum.
- Participate in the NNSC Board of Directors meetings when required.
3. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of NNSC Strategic Plan, goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Nelson Nordic trail system, associated activities and events.
- Knowledge of ‘skier preference’ trail grooming and maintenance best practices.
- Knowledge of grooming machines and equipment (both operational and maintenance).
- Knowledge of Nordic race event logistics and associated expectations.
- Skill and ability to operate a wide range of equipment and machinery including snow grooming machines, quads, snowmobiles, tractors, trucks, chainsaws and brush saws.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS.
- Ability and willingness to work late night / early morning shifts with delayed starts during forecasted snowfall events.
- Willingness to work with the general manager, other staff, and the directors to improve the grooming procedures therefore increasing efficiencies and the grooming product.
- Intermediate skill level preferred in mechanical repair, carpentry and welding.
- Basic skill level in computer operation and administrative duties.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Class 5 driver’s license