My apologies for a delayed update to our trail conditions. On Saturday the 15th we experienced a relatively minor breakdown of our main grooming machine (Husky) which grooms for both skate and classic. Sadly, the part that has failed does not allow the machine to operate. Fortunately the part we require is in Canada and should arrive in Nelson tomorrow!
We hope to have the Husky up and running by the weekend. I will continue to keep people posted on our machine status.
In the meantime Ralph has been packing and tilling the snow with the BR180 which is only able to groom for skate. Kjell will set classic track today and going forward until the Husky is running again.
The conditions have been mild the last two nights with 19cm accumulation of wet snow on the weekend and steady rainfall last night. We had several downed trees on Busk-Euphrates which impeded grooming progress. Our resources last night were focused on tree clearing, which meant Clearwater did not get groomed for today. We expect Clearweater will be groomed this evening and tomorrow.
The trails are rated as fair . The forecast continues to be mild with the snow level lowering to 800m overnight so we likely will see some more accumulation which is great for our base!
Later in the week temperatures are forecast to drop in time for the Husky’s return to action. Fingers crossed for optimal conditions by the weekend.
Thank you again for your understanding and please give Kjell a wide berth as he is out clearing debris and setting track today and tomorrow!