We have experienced warmer temperatures at elevation last night (+3 degrees Celsius ) with rain . Clearwater and the Clearwater loops were packed and groomed where possible. The conditions were not favourable for machine work over night or this morning. Grooming was aborted early as the work with the BR180 only made conditions worse.
If conditions allow for track-setting today Kjell will run the ginzu up Clearwater.
All other trails on the Apex side and Busk Euphrates have not been groomed due to the very soft now conditions.
Here’s hoping for mere snow and colder temps arrive by the weekend!
Have a great day!
My apologies for a delayed update to our trail conditions. On Saturday the 15th we experienced a relatively minor breakdown of our main grooming machine (Husky) which grooms for both skate and classic. Sadly, the part that has failed does not allow the machine to operate. Fortunately the part we require is in Canada and should arrive in Nelson tomorrow!
We hope to have the Husky up and running by the weekend. I will continue to keep people posted on our machine status.
In the meantime Ralph has been packing and tilling the snow with the BR180 which is only able to groom for skate. Kjell will set classic track today and going forward until the Husky is running again.
The conditions have been mild the last two nights with 19cm accumulation of wet snow on the weekend and steady rainfall last night. We had several downed trees on Busk-Euphrates which impeded grooming progress. Our resources last night were focused on tree clearing, which meant Clearwater did not get groomed for today. We expect Clearweater will be groomed this evening and tomorrow.
The trails are rated as fair . The forecast continues to be mild with the snow level lowering to 800m overnight so we likely will see some more accumulation which is great for our base!
Later in the week temperatures are forecast to drop in time for the Husky’s return to action. Fingers crossed for optimal conditions by the weekend.
Thank you again for your understanding and please give Kjell a wide berth as he is out clearing debris and setting track today and tomorrow!
Conditions remain favourable as our operations staff work to get everything in place for another season. It continues to snow at Apex and higher elevations which will allow Ralph to pack and groom Euphrates tonight. The Apex side will be a priority for another pass with the Husky and if time and snow accumulation permits Clearwater will also get a touch up. We still recommend that skiers watch their skis on Clearwater until we have confirmation that there is sufficient accumulation to cover any small rocks in the snow.
Lisa is now set up at the Apex kiosk and is looking forward to seeing the familiar faces of returning members and welcoming new members to our trails.
The Busk kiosk is also in place so please be prepared to present your member card or day pass to Kjell or one of our volunteer kiosk attendants when entering the Busk or Clearwater trails.
Kiosk hours of operation and services are posted at
Warmer temperatures and wet snow are forecast for the next few days with Apex being close to the anticipated snow level. Clearwater will likely be optimal as this Pacific system rolls through.
Good news NNSC members!
We have had at least 20cm of snow accumulate on our trails since noon today. Ralph has been packing and grooming the Apex-Cottonwood-Nightloop side and has also made it up to the 2km turnaround on Clearwater.
The grooming is looking good considering the state of our trails before the snow started falling. It’s safe to say the Apex-Cottonwood-Nightloop trails are in fair to good condition. Due to the late logging operations and plowing of Clearwater FSR, the conditions up Clearwater are rated as poor. However, it would be considered by many to be good on ‘rock’ skis. Busk-Euphrates remains closed until further notice.
Snow is expected to diminish after midnight . Ralph will set classic track where possible and the remaining trails will have seen fresh corduroy by morning.
Lisa will update our snowphone Wednesday morning. We are in the process of launching a live grooming update page so stay tuned!
If you still haven’t had your membership card printed or you require a new membership please speak with Lisa or Kjell at the Apex kiosk. We will aim to have the new card printer set up tomorrow afternoon if not earlier.
Please continue to be mindful of the trail conditions while out skiing. Despite the amount of snow received we are still running with a relatively thin base.
Full trail fees are in effect.